Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: What manufacturer made these cabinets?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Hostboard Member Tralalalala's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2011
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    What manufacturer made these cabinets?

    Hi !

    Just bought myself a pair of vintage speaker cabinets on the secondhand market here in Scandinavia.

    There were Altec 604E?s installed in these cabs, I already own a pair of 604E?s so I just bought the cabinets.

    These vintage cabinets were bought in the US and later freighted here by the previous owner.



    After a closer look into these cabs I found out the following things:

    1. The 604 drivers that were installed were mounted with screws that is not standard today. At least a standard that I do not know of. The mounting screws had a rectangular groove.
    2. The same type of "stange" mounting screws held the front baffle in place.

    3. The front baffle has one opening that fits the same proportions as the Altec 604E speaker.
    4. BUT the front baffle has also an opening for a separate horn. What type of horn that was originally installed in these cabs are unknown.
    5. The cabs are built out of 16mm chipboard, the front baffle is a 20mm board that looks like birch x-finer.... maybe a mix of chipboard and birch x-finer... can't see the whole thickness of the board because of the original grill cloth.

    6. The opening for the separate horn was closed with a thin MDF board. This board was installed with different screws than the other screws used inside the box.


    My own thoughts:

    1. I bought these cabs for a smaller amount of money to finally get my 604E alter drivers up and running ... see previously posted building tread.... I have still not found time to build my second DIY 612 Cabinet.
    2. I find these cabs strange. Can anyone out there state that these are original Altec cabinet based on the my description and photos attached ?

    4. Can these cabinets been build by another manufacturer of speakers or cabinets ?
    5. If this is the cabinet that came with the drivers, strongly doubt it, why is there a large opening for a separate horn in the front baffle ?



    Thoughs:

    If I get a GO signal from you guys :

    1. Make a new front baffle ( 18mm birch x-finer ) with a heightened speaker opening ( including a bevel around the edge ) + correct passport.

    Too much ?

    2. Also I will make a new back panel and a new bottom panel both in ( 3/4 = 18mm birch x-finer ).
    3. If I also get a good response on the idea i will make a newer type of braces inside the cab like the one I have used in one of my DIY 612 cabs.



    TO explain myself about this purchase : bigger WAF on these cabs than the one I have already build + I thought this would be a much easier job than what I have now figured out...

    All help about these cabs will be appreciated...!


    - tralalalala

    k3ys

    lzn3

    l00b

    r8d1

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: What manufacturer made these cabinets?

    I get a strong DIY/homebuilt vibe from them. I think they modeled them after the Heathkit AS101, but gave up on the extensive trim detail.

    No glue blocks.

    Looks like damping was installed with an Arrow t-50.

    Rattle can paint job inside the poorly secured and unbraced baffle.

    I could go on...................

    I think what you have is "workable", and with a bit of ingenuity and labor you can achieve what the original builder intended, or better.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    What manufacturer made these cabinets?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: What manufacturer made these cabinets?

    It's almost certainly a standard screw. Square drive screws are common in several industries.

    7

    I tend to support Bowtie here, homebrew by someone who understood furniture but not speakers.

    A little bracing and such will help.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What manufacturer made these cabinets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    It's almost certainly a standard screw. Square drive screws are common in several industries.
    I beleive those are called "Robertson". I purchased Robertson drive deck screws at one time......20 years ago? They work well, but I like Torx better, I think.

    List of screw drives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: What manufacturer made these cabinets?

    Robertson screws appear in many mid 70's thru early 80's Canadian manufactured speaker systems.

    However, i don't think that is a meaningful clue for these particular speaker cabinets.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member Tralalalala's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2011
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What manufacturer made these cabinets?

    Oh man...

    This really was a disappointment .

    Thanks for the input.

    How good is chipboard as material for speaker cabinets?

    They do look good, but will they ever sound good ? even with the upgrades stated above?

    Leave this project be, and instead use time on finishing the first DIY 612 cabinet plan?

    I?m clueless on what to do....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.